Study and monitoring of the Rotolon landslide
At the beginning of November 2010 exceptional rainfall events stroke the Veneto Region causing the re-activation of the Rotolon landslide which is a serious threat to the town of Recoaro Terme, Vicenza, Italy.
- Landslide investigation,
- design and implementation of a monitoring system, geotechnical and topographical,
- decision support in case of emergency.
- collection and analysis of previous data
- implementation and management of a database
- stability analysis and modeling of the landslide
- implementation of a web portal for the management and visualization of the measurements
- geotechnical and topographical monitoring
- service for support decisions in case of emergency
An early-warning system was realized in the Rotolon catchment in order to mitigate the landslide risk. It consists of three components: a warning system, a monitoring system and a decision support system.
In the project framework a web-based platform for automatic and continuous landslide monitoring was implemented and several papers on peer-reviewed international journals were produced.
The implementation of the early-warning system strongly reduced the risk in the study area providing also relevant information for the modelling of the landslide dynamic and for the definition of the triggering factors.