Modelling for real-time flood forecasting
Continuos rainfall-runoff and routing modelling for real-time flood forecasting
The project activities concern:
- development and implementation of: 1) a semi-distributed continuous hydrological model (MISDc) for real-time soil moisture estimate and river discharge prediction in the Upper-Middle Tiber River basin; 2) a flood wave routing model (STAFOM-RCM) for stage hydrograph forecasting at some selected hydrometric stations in the Tiber River basin;
- support for installation of soil moisture sensors in the Upper-Middle Tiber River basin;
- analysis of surface flow velocity data, also derived through no-contact techniques, for river discharge estimation;
- organization and homogenization of information on river crossing structures in the Upper-Middle Tiber basin.
- Operational implementation of MISDc and STAFOM-RCM models on the web platform of the Umbria Region Functional Centre (CFD-RU) as operative tools to support hydraulic risk management in real-time;
- installation of soil moisture sensors in the Upper-Middle Tiber basin for continuous monitoring of wetness condition to correctly address flood forecasting.
- analysis and elaboration of surface flow velocity data derived from radar sensor at Monte Molino station through the entropy approach;
- development of a database collecting all the available information on the river crossings in the Upper-Middle Tiber river basin.