FLoods and fIre Risk assessment and managEment
FLIRE is a demonstration project aiming to the development of an integrated Decision Support System (DSS) for both flash floods and forest fires risk assessment and management. The DSS tool will be designed by using state of art tools, technologies and methods and taking into account prevention, adaptation and interaction issues. The final model will be online available to key stakeholders and relevant authorities (local and national) for the combined, effective and efficient floods and fires risk management.
Main objectives of the DSS development are:
- minimize of the impact of floods and forest fires on human lives, ecosystems and properties
- improve Floods’ prevention level
- improve the Flash flood mitigation
- improve the Forest fires’ prevention level and forests’ protection
- raise awareness on both hazards of flash floods & forest fires and their combined effects in both environmental and socio-economic aspects of Eastern Attica and Athens city